The federal government has opened up over 700 000 grants for up to $5000 each available to Canadian homeowners to make their homes more energy efficient.
**hint hint think Solar**
With 18% of Canada GHG (greenhouse gas emissions) coming from residential homes, there is no better time than now to think about Solar.
The basic rundown
Who can apply:
The property must be your primary residence and you must provide proof of ownership
New homes, less than 6 months old, do not qualify
- Indigenous Governments/organizations
- Housing management bodies or indigenous service delivery organizations with formal partnerships with indigenous governments
What you can claim:
- Up to $600 for your pre-and post-retrofit evaluations. These evaluations are required to be considered for the greener homes grant
- From the recommended list of energy efficient upgrades provided by the energy advisor, you are allotted one area to improve your home’s GHG emissions. For solar, the greener homes grants gives you up to $5000.
If you think that you are eligible for the Canada Greener Homes Grant Initiative, you must:
- Apply to the Canada Greener Homes Grant Initiative and wait for your application to be approved by Natural Resources Canada
- Complete a pre-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation
- Review the recommendations provided by the energy advisor
- Complete at least one retrofit that is both eligible and recommended by your energy advisor in their Renovation Upgrade Report. Retrofits completed without having an evaluation completed first are not eligible for the grant.
- Purchase and install the correct equipment such as heat pumps and windows, which must meet eligibility criteria and must be on the eligible product list. Provide and keep copies of all of your documents until March 31, 2028.
- Complete a post-retrofit EnerGuide evaluation
- Receive the grant
All products must be purchased in Canada. Online purchases are only eligible if they are ordered from a distributor located in Canada.
If you need any help, as always, WE ARE HERE FOR YOU.